Wednesday, November 3, 2010

GEAR: MSR Reactor Stove System

Jetboils have been my main stove since I started backpacking. I started my outdoor adventures late enough in the game that I never really had to deal with finicky, temperamental, hard to light stoves. No complaints here!
First, a little on the Jetboil. This stove has an almost magical button that you push and wham! the igniter reliably sparks the stove to light so there is no need of matches or a lighter. This is a fabulous stove for one or two people and boils water super fast. I only have the best things to say about these stoves.
It wasn't until I was packing for a week long trip with two friends that I was introduced to the MSR Reactor Stove. I had planned that we would bring two Jetboils between the three of us until my friend, Greg (http://livewellnetwork.com/Motion/7624634), said that he had just bought this new stove that was perfect for three. Not only is the MSR Reactor Stove light (19 oz), it boils water at an alarming rate. Sometimes, the boiling water is ready before you have time to prep your meal! The specs on this stove say it takes 3 min and 45 sec to boil water but from my experience I can honestly say it's a lot quicker than that. If you're looking for a good all weather stove, I highly recommend the MSR Reactor Stove and if you're interested in a quiver of stoves....add the Jetboil too!

No comments:

Post a Comment